Awards and recognition
Striving for excellence for our clients, our teams, and our community
Established in our industry
In the time since Phil Richards acquired North Star in 1969, we have been on a steady path of growth as we diversify and evolve to serve our clients better.
Our continued success is a result of nearly a century of growing and adapting in the best interest of our clients.
- Twin Cities Largest Wealth Management Firms (2017-2021)
- Best in Class: Midsize Company Award by Minnesota Business Magazine (2016)1
- Top 5,000 Fastest-Growing Private Companies in the Nation (2007, 2009, 2014, and 2015)
- Master Firm Award by GAMA International2 (1987-2020)
Invested in our people
North Star’s greatest asset is our employees, and our mission is to equip each advisor and team member with the training and resources necessary for a fulfilling career and life.
- Top Workplaces USA (2021)
- Top Workplaces Financial Services Industry (2021)
- Top Workplaces Communication (2021)
- Star Tribune Top Workplace (2016)
- Top Entry-Level Employer according to CollegeGrad.com (2014-2021)
- Top Workplaces Work-Life Balance (2021)
- 100 Best Companies to Work For awarded by Minnesota Business Magazine (2015)
Responsible to our communities
We believe in investing in the people and communities that surround us. Since 2004, we have contributed over $5.8 million to worthy charities and our team has put in hundreds of paid volunteer hours.
- Better Business Bureau of Minnesota and North Dakota Torch Awards for Ethics (2019, 2015 and 2011)3
- Invest in Others Charitable Champion (2019)
- Finalist Corporate Philanthropy Award by Invest in Others (2015 and 2016)
- Minnesota Business Ethics Award for a Mid-Size Company (2015)
- Community Leadership Award by InvestmentNews (2010)
1Midsize Company award was presented by the Minnesota Business Magazine. It was designated for companies with 51-250 employees for overall excellence in positively impacting Minnesotan communities. Applicants were evaluated based on criteria including philanthropic events and volunteer work
2GAMA International is a membership organization for which individuals must submit applications and payment. The organization is geared toward those in a recruiting, training, or supervision role in the financial services industry. Awards are based primarily on -commissions, premiums, or fees generated from investment and insurance products and other criteria relative to leader-ship, achievement, and recruiting selected by the applicant. Individuals must be current with membership dues and submit an application fee for consideration. Working with this individual is not a guarantee of future financial results. Investors should conduct their own evaluation.
3Awards are based primarily on criteria relative to leadership, achievement, recruiting, management practices, community service, team unity and education. Sales are not a consideration. There is no fee associated with this award. Companies must be in good standing with the Better Business Bureau for consideration. Working with this advisor or firm is not a guarantee of future financial results. Investors should conduct their own evaluation.