The advisors within North Star’s Law Division understand that attorneys are great advocates for their clients but rarely make themselves a top priority. Their time horizon, debt loads, career demands and even how they process information, all make lawyers unique. We know and understand these traits and have developed unique strategies to overcome them.
Through our experience, we have found consistent factors that hinder lawyers from reaching their financial goals.
- Lack of Time: Lawyers today are pressed and stressed for time more than ever. Increasing competition between firms and the pressure to hit billable hours come at the expense of less time to tend to personal needs and even less energy to spend learning about personal financial matters. Our strategies will save you time to help you focus on what is most important to you.
- Procrastination: Lawyers often delay implementing important savings and investment strategies early in their careers as they obsess over paying back student loans. Our accountability meetings will help you get the right financial habits set and they need to start with your first paycheck.
- Lack of Delegation: Asking for help can seem akin to admitting a professional shortcoming. Do-it-yourself financial accountability, though, is fraught with the same problems lawyers can encounter when representing themselves in legal matters. You lose objectivity needed to weigh all the options and issues that can impact your decisions. By having us as your trusted advisors, we can provide a more objective view point and educate you on all available options.
- Deficit Spending: Too many lawyers have a “preoccupation with the profession” where they feel compelled to maintain the image of being a lawyer. You cannot build wealth if you keep spending more than you make. We have many systems and ideas to help you balance your budget.
- Disorganization: Lawyers are constantly facing challenges and deadlines for their clients, so organizing materials relating to their own financial matters is rarely a priority. By working with us, we can help you stay on top of opportunities and avoid financial pitfalls.
- Speculation versus Diversification: Many lawyers have a net worth dominated by one or two large assets like their law practices, real estate, or their homes. We will show you multiple approaches to addressing your goals so you can better manage your risks.
- Lack of an Overall Strategy: Too many lawyers make decisions based on convenience without incorporation all of their resources and goals into the decision-making process. We are your advocate, helping to build your comprehensive strategies that overcome the barriers to wealth mentioned above and get the most out of your money.
Financial independence does not happen by accident; you have to be intentional and disciplined. Our team of financial advisors work with you to make your money work as hard as you do. We spend the necessary time to thoroughly understand your unique financial situation. Then we focus on helping you define your goals and develop financial solutions tailored to address those individual needs.
We are committed to helping you develop long-range strategies that can help lead to financial success in the following areas:
- Educational Seminars
- Asset Management Programs
- Fee-based Financial Planning
- Investment Advisory Services
- Life Insurance Strategies (Group & Individual)
- Income Protection Strategies
- College Funding
- Employee Benefits Analysis & Management*
- Annuities (Fixed, Deferred, Immediate & Variable)
- Retirement strategy development and management
- Long-Term Health Care Planning
Securian Financial Services, Inc., CRI Securities, LLC, and their financial advisors do not provide specific tax/legal advice. You should always consult your tax or legal professional regarding your own specific tax/legal situation.