Zachary MacDougall, CFP®, ChFC®
Partner and Financial Advisor
Zachary A. MacDougall, CFP®, ChFC® is a wealth advisor and partner with North Star Resource Group. He runs an office branch located in San Diego, providing overall client strategy to his team of advisors, and has client relationships in 25 states nationwide. North Star Resource Group is one of the nation’s largest and oldest privately-held independent financial advising firms with over $10 billion of client assets1 entrusted to them and origins tracing back to 1908.
Zach is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional as well as a CHARTERED FINANCIAL CONSULTANT™. He manages an advice-based financial practice concentrating on providing integrated financial strategies primarily to medical professionals, attorneys, engineers, and small business owners as well as high net worth individuals across different professions and disciplines.
He now serves as North Star’s Medical Division President through summer 2023yr. This division consists of 60+ advisors who specialize in working with medical professionals nationwide. Zach is responsible to facilitate educational sessions to the group, as well as providing guidance on overall client experience and financial strategy.
Ultimately, Zach builds long-term relationships with his clients and helps them grow and protect their wealth in an efficient manner. He can help you identify, develop, and refine your short and long-term financial goals, design a financial strategy to efficiently pursue them, and keep you accountable to those goals throughout the years.
His team offers a complimentary initial meeting to potential new clients. Please fill out the information below if you would be interested in a no-cost, no-obligation consultation meeting to discuss your unique situation and uncover where we can potentially add value. From there, you can take some time privately and decide if this is a long-term advising relationship you’d like to further pursue.
1As of December 31, 2020
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Certification
Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC)
Harvard Business School Online
Arizona State University, W.P. Carey School of Business
Autonomous University of Barcelona – International Business Certificate
FINRA Series 7 Registered
FINRA Series 66 Registered
Licensed Life, Accident and Health Insurance Agent
- Zach has been distinguished among a select group of financial advisors worldwide by the Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT) as a 2017-2021 Qualifier. MDRT is the Premier Association of Financial Professionals®.
- North Star’s Stone Cutter Award Recipient
- North Star’s Ambassador of the Year Award Recipient 2012 and 2019
Born and raised in Waterford, Connecticut, Zach now resides in San Diego, with his wife Carla and son Jack. Zach enjoys sailing, golf, skiing, tennis, and traveling with his family and friends experiencing new cultures and creating forever lasting memories.
- Investment Portfolio Management
- Financial Analysis Review
- Employer Equity Strategies (RSUs, Stock Options, ESPPs, ESOPs)
- Real Estate Strategies
- Retirement Investment Strategies
- Tax Minimization Techniques**
- Debt Management Strategies
- Student Loan Repayment Strategies
- Education Funding
- Survivor Needs Analysis
- Asset Allocation & Risk Tolerance
- Cash Flow Analysis/Budgeting
- Wealth Accumulation & Distribution Strategies
- Individual Insurance Strategies: Life, Disability, and Long Term Care
- Qualified Employer Plans: 401(k)s, SEP IRAs, SIMPLE IRAs
- Defined Benefit Plans
- Group Insurance: Health, Life, Business Overhead, and Disability Insurance
- Business Continuation/Exit Strategies**
- Employee Seminars
Zach only assists a select group of clients per year, focusing on their precise needs and goals. The relationships his clients enjoy are designed to endure for decades to create prosperity, security and financial well-being. Zach is passionate about his client relationships and strives to build a reputation centered on honesty and integrity. His consulting approach focuses on individual attention and personalized recommendations to suit his clients’ diverse needs, and high client retention rate demonstrates the trust and success built and preserved through committed service.
Recent speaking engagements/publications:
- Association of Financial Advisers, Singapore
- IPP Financial Advisers; Singapore, Singapore
- California Bar Association – New Lawyer’s Division
- California Physical Therapist Association
- UCSD Neurosurgeon Residents
- UCSD Skaggs School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences
- St. Augustine University Physical Therapists
- San Diego Pharmacist Residency Programs (Sharp, VA, Scripps, UCSD, Navy)
- SEAOSD – Structural Engineers Association of San Diego
- Published in the San Diego Defense Attorney Update Magazine
- Published on Virtualmedstudent.com
- San Diego Society of Physician Assistants SDSPA
- San Diego State University Physical Therapists
Zach is a Registered Representative and Investment Advisor Representative of Securian Financial Services, Inc. CA Ins Lic # 0H70687. 2316371/DOFU 11-2018
Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT) is an independent membership organization of life insurance and financial service professionals. Membership levels are based on commissions, premiums, or fees generated within a year from investment and insurance products. Members must apply annually and pay a fee. Members must be members in good standing of a Professional Association which has met the following criteria: in existence at least 2 years, have 100 or more members, must be a nonprofit organization, must have a code of ethics and an effective means of dealing with breaches of its code. Members must also adhere to the MDRT Code of Ethics. Working with this advisor is not a guarantee of future financial results. Investors should conduct their own evaluation.