Justin Berry, CFP®, CSLP®, RICP®
Financial Planner, Partner
Coaching young physician families to avoid financial mistakes and helping them to create their ideal lives.
Justin is an independent financial planner in Oregon who believes in building relationships with his physician clients based on financial education and blunt honesty. His primary goal with everyone he meets is to reduce their financial stress and help them avoid costly mistakes.
He specializes in helping physician families and primarily works with young physicians because decisions during the early stages of a medical career regarding topics such as student loans, disability insurance, and savings automation can have a significant long-term effect on a physician’s financial health.
Justin has built relationships with several hospitals in the Pacific Northwest such as Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), Doernbecher Children’s Hospital, Providence Portland, Providence St. Vincent, Providence Milwaukie, Kaiser Northwest Permanente, Kaiser Washington Permanente, and Legacy Health.
In addition to the comprehensive planning, Justin offers a personalized financial education course for residents and fellows that covers essential topics most physicians will encounter during their careers. He wants the doctors he helps to be prepared to make informed decisions and to have a clear understanding of the “why” behind each decision they make.
Financial education before the end of residency or fellowship is crucial to accomplishing this goal.
His dedication to educating physicians is shown not only by the one-on-one financial education course he has taken hundreds of physicians in training through, but also by the financial wellness discussions he hosts for residency departments at OHSU, Providence St. Vincent, Providence Milwaukie, the University of Washington, and MultiCare.
In February 2019, Justin was also selected to be the advisor in charge of the OHSU Guaranteed Standard Issue (GSI) Disability Insurance Program. This beneficial new GSI program allows OHSU residents and fellows to purchase specialty-specific, privately owned disability insurance at discounted gender-neutral pricing without having to complete a full risk screening and medical records review. Justin is the only advisor approved to help OHSU residents and fellows acquire a GSI policy.
If you would like to schedule an introductory meeting or you want to know more about how Justin helps physicians improve their financial well-being, please email Justin.
When he isn’t at work, there is nothing Justin loves more than spending time with his wife and his daughters. He also enjoys golfing, road trips, going to live comedy shows, and playing cards or board games with friends.
As an independent financial planner, Justin has helped hundreds of physician families address the following topics:
- Debt management and repayment strategies including assistance with Income Based Repayment (IBR), Pay As You Earn (PAYE), Revised Pay As You Earn (REPAYE), and the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
- Specialty specific, own occupation disability insurance options and assisting with company selection among the “big six companies” which consist of Principal, Ameritas (Union Central), Ohio National, Guardian Berkshire, Standard, and Mass Mutual
- Cash flow organization and automation strategies
- Term life insurance options and assisting with company selection
- Group benefits packages offered by physician employers
- Retirement funding strategies (401a, 401k, 403b, 457b, Roth IRA, Traditional IRA, Solo 401k)
- Education funding strategies for children or other loved ones
The potential benefits from meeting with Justin include:
- A debt analysis to make sure you aren’t making an expensive mistake with your repayment strategy
- An evaluation of your insurance needs to make sure you aren’t over-insured, underinsured, or overpaying
- Increased knowledge of how the U.S. financial system works and how it will affect your life
- A better understanding of how to reach your financial goals
- Reduction of financial stress
North Star, CRI Securities and Securian Financial Group are not affliated with any of the universities or other organizations listed. Justin is a registered representative and investment advisor representative of Securian Financial, Inc. 2504894/DOFU 4-2019